trees

trees

Friday, March 30, 2012

Something fun: Heirlooms!

I usually go through different phases each year as the growing season comes. One year for instance, I focused on onions. I love to learn all about different kinds, how to grow them and preserve them. Anything I can do to learn to be more self sufficient is exciting for me. Last year I started to teach myself how to collect seeds from as many different kinds of plants in my yard as I could.

 I feel that this is an art that has been lost in these latest years, and a very important one to know how to do. This naturally led me to heirloom plants, as they are self pollinating and will produce themselves year after year. The more that I have learned about these wonderful plants, I had no Idea what we have all been missing in variety and flavor. 


 Yes, carrots come in other colors other than orange. Who knew??

I hear these Green Zebra tomatoes(pictured below) taste just divine. I will be growing some in my garden for the first time this summer as well as some Bloody butcher( take about 55 days from seed to fruit) and the classic Brandywine Tomato.

And guess what ??? Watermelons don't just come in one shape and size.  They come in ALL different colors, inside and out, and all different crazy shapes and sizes.

 We have been missing out, people. We've been missing out on AMAZING tasting food! all for the convenience of a perfect size and shape to put on the shelf in the grocery store.
If you are not sure where to start, I can recommend two amazing companies to purchase seeds from. Check here for my latest find in an amazing company, and here where I started purchasing last year. A bit smaller, and less intimidating for some beginners. I love them both! Have fun shopping and growing!

1 comment:

  1. Casey grows this kind of stuff. Its really cool. He had purple potatoes that were really yummy. And really cool looking pumpkins. I think it sounds great! Once I get the hang of things Im going to try them out!

    ReplyDelete


Blooms in late May( Bugle Weed)

My Hubby's Hobby

Daylily

Daylily

Spearmint, from the ditches of Grandpa's old farm( heirloom)

Spearmint, from the ditches of Grandpa's old farm( heirloom)

Followers

Blog Archive