trees

trees

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Egyptain Walking Onions... Yes they are for real!

 So, about 11 or so years ago back when I and the hubby were newlyweds He brought me to a man's house who had a lush backyard full of trees, bushes, etc up a steep slope. It was beautiful and fun to look at. On the side of his house he had a garden that had Jerusalem artichokes, Kohrabi and.. yes! Egyptian walking onions.
 I always remember how interesting those were, and just recently had to start asking around to see if someone remembered the name of them. finally one of my good friends sent me the link where I ordered my batch of bulbs. I've been on a self sufficiency kick and have been digging up useless perennials and planting useful medicinal/helpful herbs instead. I also plan to expand the herb garden. Yes, I am digging out more grass this fall, or I plan to anyway.

So, Hopefully I will be able to download a picture of these interesting onions. They grow tall hollow twisted posts that flower. Instead of just havein the flower seed part they start growing bulbs where the flower buds are. Then when they are heavy enough and fall to the ground, they will start taking root wherever they fall if left there. They are really hardy too! I figured it would be a good thing to constantly have onions on tow...they have been in for a few weeks and they are already sending up green shoots! I am pretty excited!

1 comment:

  1. Aww... man! no comments!? From any of my three readers? dang.

    ReplyDelete


Blooms in late May( Bugle Weed)

My Hubby's Hobby

Daylily

Daylily

Spearmint, from the ditches of Grandpa's old farm( heirloom)

Spearmint, from the ditches of Grandpa's old farm( heirloom)

Followers

Blog Archive